Tuesday, January 27, 2009

WFMW re-run: Wonderful pumpkin bread

A WFMW re-run from 10/29/08. I'm going to make this bread today (since I'm home, again, for a snow day) and freeze an extra loaf, so I thought I'd share.


This recipe is absolutely wonderful, thus it works for me.

DownEast Maine Pumpkin Bread (from AllRecipes)
INGREDIENTS
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (I used 1 cup applesauce)
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar (1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup white and 1 cup splenda)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (I didn't have this, so I didnt add it)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (ditto)
1 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
3. Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Poke holes in the top of the bread, drizzle a melted butter/cinnamon/sugar mixture of the top.

This bread is better when it sits overnight. I made 2 loaves and 6 muffins out of this recipe.

Check out more WFMW posts over at http://www.rocksinmydryer.typepad.com/

7 comments:

Carolina Mama said...

Oh that sounds great. And I love your revisions. I never quite get the hang of Splenda in baking unless someone like you spells it out! Thanks!

Totallyscrappy said...

Sounds yummy!

Trina said...

I am a week behind on reading blogs and trying to catch up!

This sounds amazing :) I'll be bookmarking this and hopefully will be able to try it soon. Thanks for sharing.

Phyllis Sommer said...

Sounds yummy (I like the poking holes part best)

Have you ever tried it with less sweetener? Just curious because 3 cups of sugar/splenda/etc sounds like a lot and I'm wondering if one cup brown and one cup white would be enough?

Lynn said...

I have made this and I loved it. I found it on Allrecipes a while ago and I have made it many times.

schwadette said...

I LOVE this recipe - we been making this bread for the last couple of years. It really is the best pumpkin bread recipe I've found. ENJOY!

Dave Roller said...

I'm gonna try baking that with the kids next week. Only thing is I am not quite sure where to buy pumpkin puree. Otherwise sounds yummy.