You can read Jennifer's take on $ management, couponing and being frugal here: http://allthingsfrugal.blogspot.com/2008/02/my-reasons-for-all-things-frugal.html
Why am I frugal?
Well, back in July I discovered couponing. Since then, I've cut our monthly food and necessities budget from $80 a week down to an average of $30 a week. (keep in mind- some weeks are better than others! Like, $9.82 on groceries last week, when the week before I spent $50)
Since I started couponing, we've made other simple lifestyle changes to become more frugal:
- we order water to drink when we go out to eat
- we wait for clothing to go on sale before purchasing (ex- old navy and gap sales!)
- we plan more of our trips around town to save gas
- we usually eat out on 'special' nights- ex- 3.99 enchilada night
- both of us only have lunch out 1x a week (if that) w/ work friends, etc.
- We have a set budget we follow for all expenses now
Reasons why we want to remain frugal?
- we'd like to buy a house this year, and we are saving for the down payment
- we are credit card debt free, and plan to stay that way
- we will need to buy Brandon a new car when his dies :(
- I'm ALMOST done w/ graduate school- and we will have to start paying the student loans back.
Our main goal $ wise for the future is to never live above our means. Once I start working full time, I think it will be easier to over-spend and become a little bit more relaxed on our budget. But, we'll evaluate that when the time comes :)
So, why do you coupon? Or why are you frugal?