Thursday, November 20, 2008

Step 1: Brine

Friendsgiving is about 48 hours away! Here's what I've gotten done thus far:

* scrubbed down the kitchen back splash, counter tops, front of oven & dishwasher
* moved my KitchenAid mixer and toaster out of kitchen, into the laundry room
* washed the kitchen floor rugs
* washed, dried and ironed the tablecloths
* picked up card table & a folding chair from mom & dad
* moved my turkey to the fridge to thaw

* FINALLY cleaned out the 'blue' bedroom upstairs (the last room w/ boxes from the move)
* Made the brine mixture.

Like I said last week, I'm using Alton Brown's brine recipe from the food network. Here are my ingredients:

I cheated and made my own "candied ginger" by mixing equal parts of ground ginger and sugar. Instead of using 1/2 tbsp of allspice berries, I just used 1 tsp ground allspice.

Following Alton's directions, I combined everything but the ice water and brought it to a boil:


The house sure does smell wonderful! Tomorrow, Nannie is coming over to help me w/ the turkey (ok, I don't like touching the bird/removing the insides. Nannie loves me, so she does it! I'm spoiled!!!!) and we'll start brining the turkey tomorrow night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking good! Too funny that you won't touch the turkey. I hate them too. What a nice Nannie!

Trina said...

Ew, I don't like touching raw meat either. Gross.

Never brined before, sounds complicated.

Crystal DuBois said...

I have used Alton Brown's Brine for the last 3 years! It is definitly a KEEPER!!! I wouldn't eve consider cooking a turkey without it! One tip...do take the time to let the Turkey rest,(I take it out, then reheat all of my make ahead dishes while the turkey is resting) and be sure to tent the breast half way through. Lastly, I roast the turkey on a cookie sheet just like Alton did on the turkey episode. This works out really well. Good Luck!

Chi said...

That sounds fabulous! Can't wait to see the outcome! Have a great Turkey Day! P.S. I m-a-y be coming back to t-town:)