Tuesday, November 11, 2008

WFMW: Friendsgiving & Links

The Story of Friendsgiving
It all started last year when we wanted to have a Christmas party with our college friends. We started calling our friends trying to set a date in stone, and we discovered it was impossible to find an open weekend in all of December. We were pretty disappointed, but it wasn't worth having a Christmas party if only a few friends could attend.
I've always loved fall, and I was interning with Shannon at that time. Shannon and I exchanged recipes/life stories on a daily basis and I mentioned to her how much I love the Kindergarten's Thanksgiving feast & how we couldn't get a holiday party scheduled, etc. After talking it over with Shannon, we realized that almost everyone is home the weekend before Thanksgiving, no one really has plans for that weekend and OSU rarely has a home football game that weekend due to the Bedlam tradition (more on that later). Thus, Friendsgiving was born :)


We provide the tradition turkey and dressing, while all the sides are potluck. Everyone brings their favorite wine/beer/adult beverage to share and a good time is had by all!


Last year we had 8 people in attendance, including ourselves. We were still renting our townhouse so it was a tight fit and it was done on a tight budget- but here's a few photos from last years event:
This year we have about 14 people who have RSVP'ed! I've already purchased a 17 lb. turkey from Target, and have my table decorations piled up in the formal dinning room ready to go. This has quickly become a great tradition that our friends look forward to every year.

Check back here for photos of my table decorations, recipes, etc. from the 2008 Friendsgiving in about a week and a half.

Until then, here's a few links/ideas to check out if you are interested in hosting your own Friendsgiving or just hosting Thanksgiving in your home:

** http://www.home-ec101.com/ :Countdown to Turkey Day 2008

** http://http//www.bhg.com/holidays/thanksgiving/indoor-decorating/easy-centerpieces-for-thanksgiving/ for centerpiece/table decorating ideas

** Check out Old Time Pottery or a discount craft store in your area for simple glass dinner plates, I picked up 8 extra plates at a $1 each, and I'm going to alternate these glass plates w/ my china place settings.

** http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/Entertaining/EntertainingLandingPage.aspx for general recipe ideas

** I'm going to use this brinning recipe for my turkey this year: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html


Make sure and check out more WFMW tips at http://www.rocksinmydryer.typepad.com/

10 comments:

Allison said...

AW! I wanna come! :(

Chi said...

I want to come too!!!

Sarah said...

Move back to Tulsa girls!

Blessed said...

That is a great solution to a common problem! We find it hard to get together with all of our friends between Thanksgiving and Christmas too!

My WFMW post is at:
http://afrugalhousewife.com

Debbie said...

I love this idea and the name. I definitely think this is something our family would enjoy. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like fun! How great it will be in your new house this year! I can't wait to see the pictures.

Jane Anne said...

What a great idea! Of course, it gets harder when everyone has kids. Still, I love it!

Trina said...

Great idea!

My Trendy Tykes said...

This sounds like a wonderful tradition!

Linda

Kate said...

These is such a neat idea. Thanks for sharing.