Wednesday, January 30, 2008

WFMW: Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's already another WFMW! I decided to stray a little from my couponing tips, and share a baking tip.

Ever since I started using the Betty Crocker Bridal Edition Cookbook- my cookies have turned out perfectly, and it's all because of the butter.
This cookbook is amazing because it shows you what 'just soft enough' butter looks like. I can't get my scanner to work, but I thought I'd share w/ you'all.

Perfectly softened butter:
The butter still looks just like the stick you set out 30 minutes ago, until you press your finger on the top. It is just right when you are able to easily leave a finger imprint. It's too melty when you begin to see butter run off @ the base of the stick.

When you cookies come out flat, it's due to the butter being too melted.

Here's the recipe for the Choc. chip cookies I posted on Monday: http://onefrugalchick.blogspot.com/2008/01/photo-28.html
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or stick margarine softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lg. egg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 bag choc. chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Beat sugars, butter, vanilla and egg with mixer on medium speed (I use speed 2 on my KA).
Mix in flour, baking soda and salt. (The dough will be very stiff)
Stir in choc. chips.
Drop dough by rounded tbsp's about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes until light brown but the center is still soft. Cool 1-2 minutes, remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
(1 cookie- 135 calories, 8g fat and 1g fiber.) Makes about 4 dozen

Check out more WFMW tips over @ http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com/

7 comments:

Heidi said...

I love cookies and so does my family. So thanks for the great tip and recipe!

Allison said...

From Kendra on my blog. Try it. It's really neat. :)

jennwa said...

I did not know that about the butter. Thanks.

Totallyscrappy said...

And who doesn't love a good cookie recipe?!

Jack's Mommy said...

that's neat...maybe i should get that book! i never cooked before getting married so it's been a fun trip through the kitchen the past 2 years.. :-P

Ladybug Crossing said...

This is so timely for me. I just made chocolate chip cookies yesterday. I find that if I drop the oven temperature 5 degrees, the cookies come out softer. Yummmm...
I melt my butter, but I let it sit to firm up for a few minutes after I've creamed it with the sugar.

I might have to get that cookbook... It sounds great.
Thanks for sharing.
LBC

Unknown said...

Yum thanks for posting! I can't wait to see how your cake class is going! Hope all goes well at your class this weekend!